25.5.08

Public Enemy



Don't Look Back Concerts are a great concept - take an artist or group and get them to perform a classic album the in it's entirety. When I found out that Public Enemy were to perform It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back I had to go. It's probably my favourite album by an American Hip-Hop group ever and came at a time when my interest in the genre was at it's most passionate. Outside of Hijack's Horns Of Jericho it's probably my most played LP/CD/MP3 etc etc. Despite being released two decades ago it still stands head and shoulders above anything released today and represents a time when Hip-Hop had drive and purpose. There is no point even discussing the performance of Public Enemy because I have never been to one of their shows that was anything less than superb. They have perfected their performances and style over many years - it's just not possible to be anything less than blown away.

The only support act I managed to see was Kool Keith which was a frustrating experience. Despite being a member of the Ultramagnetic MCs, Keith opted to focus more on his solo material which generally leaves me cold. A skilled performer I'll grant you but his Dr Octagon and other solo projects just don't translate to the live stage for me. By the time he got around to performing Ultra's Poppa Large it was time for him to finish the set and I was left standing there hungry for more classic material.

A great night though and even the travel was easy - the last time I drove to a gig at the Academy many years ago I had my car broken into on Somerleyton Road but this time I parked just off Gresham Road which seemed to have a police car or van driving along it every fifth minute.

No comments: